Re: Proxying question from a frustrated newbie

At 10:12 PM 14/06/2006, you wrote:
>Even so, I doubt that it would work... As the GK is on a DMZ, there is a
>double NAT (client->GK and GK-> Internet). Remember that H323 is not NAT
>friendly. Indeed it hates NAT.

Not true. H.323 (GnuGK) has very good ability to traverse NAT. You can use
GnuGK for traversal of any NAT. You only require that GnuGK be connected
directly to the public internet and NOT in a DMZ. Once the machine GnuGK is
on, which has at least 1 interface with a public IP and 1 interface with a
private IP, It is possible to send/make calls from any person on the
Internet (whether they are on a Wireless LAN, Hotel room, HotSpot etc)
in/from the LAN using the proxy function of GnuGK.

Configuration example
http://www.gnugk.org/h323-proxy.html

The machine can be any windows or linux machine and you can use a basic
application based firewall for security. For instance I use an old Windows
2000 machine with  SYGATE firewall software. The machine does not have to
replace your existing router/firewall which you already have connected to
the Internet but can be placed in parallel with a separate public IP
address (directly connected to another DSL/cable modem) and a fixed
internal IP address. You don't have to reconfigure any other part of your
existing network. You can get your internal clients to register with the
internal IP address of GnuGK box and your external users to register with
the external IP address of the GnuGK box. If your DSL modem has a dynamic
IP address then you can use a DDNS (Dynamic DNS) service like no-ip.com
(which I use) or dyndns.org as a DNS provider to register your external
users so they would register like so.

Internal
VoIP Server (Gatekeeper)  192.168.0.5

External
VoIP Server (Gatekeeper)  myname,dyndns.org

To be able to make/receive calls from anywhere on the internet, use a
softphone like PacPhone www.pacphone.com which will automatically, natively
traverse any NAT you may be on.  If you use PacPhone clients on both ends
of the call then the call is AES256 encrypted.

Simon