question about password hashes

Hello,

I'm using gnugk v2.2.3 on Debian Etch.

I'd like to use SQLPasswordAuth, but I can't understand from reading
the manual (gnugk-manual-7.html#ss7.4) which password formats are
acceptable to gnugk.

Should all passwords be encrypted the way addpasswd does it ?

Is it possible to use an existing password database where passwords
are either encoded with crypt or md5 like in /etc/passwd for example
?

I'd like to have each user/endpoint have his own password, is this
possible at all ? I've understood that it's not possible with
Radius auth, am I right ?

Also, is this message :

  http://www.spinics.net/lists/gnu-gk/msg09777.html

still valid ?