Re: Free H.323 Secure SoftPhone

At 12:49 AM 18/02/2006, you wrote:
[Was: Re:  RTP problem with some NAT]

In the following message:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=14756874
SourceForge.net: openh323gk-users

Simon Horne, 2006-02-09 23:17 GMT +01:00, wrote:

If all else fails, you could use a VPN.
If you want encryption then there is a free H.323 secure softphone available that are fully interperable with GNUGK and other H.323 equipment so you would never ever need a VPN.

Would You mind telling me which soft phone You had in mind, please?

PacPhone www.pacphone.com , my current project, It is not open source but it is freeware. It is not SRTP but rather a variant of H.235 which encrypts the RTP payload and is based on the TLSv1 algorithm and capable of AES256 media encryption. There is a brief technical document on how it works and other cool things we are doing in H.323 at www.packetizer.com/labs. The softphone works completely ubiquitous with almost all H.323 equipment and is more efficient and far more interoperable then SRTP .

The softphone is also GNUGK Nat-aware so can traverse NATs without configuring or requiring port forwarding etc.It also has a lot of other features including plug 'n play support for SKYPE USB Phones and a built in 3 line H450.x PBX so calls can be held/forwarded etc.

In the coming week or so we will be releasing a new version which will support a few more really cool features.

Does it run on Windows NT 4.0 sp6,
and does it also support Video?

It can run on Win98 and Wnidows NT 4.0 sp6 (I have tested both) however the number of dependences required to get it to work on these older versions adds about 3mb onto the install package (the package is only 4mb) so it was decided to drop support for them. So currently you will require either Windows 2000 or XP.

Support for Video (although capable) has been disabled until we make some changes in the OpenH323 stack and we finish off the audio features we want to add.

Simon

Thanks Simon!

--
----