Thanks for the reply but completely blocking the customer isn't what I want to do. I would like to control the rate of calls in some manner that allows me to discard new connections when calls per second exceed a certain rate or when a certain number of calls are in queue that have not yet undergone translation or some other means to control rate of call flow.

From: Muhammad Asif Ali <m@xxxxx>
Re: Call slamming
2005-12-15 23:20
    Hi Bluce    I had the same problem and I was advised two options by a friend of mine :    1) Quick and dirty method is to block the IP in IPChains of your system, but  that wont relieve   the system fully as request would still be coming but now  your system would be dropping the request from that IP.    2) Other method is to get that IP blocked @ gateway, that wud completely  relieve ur system from that IP    Hope it helps

bluce ree <bluceree@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on how to limit the rate of incoming calls per second?

I tried reducing the value of "ListenQueueLength" as far down as 1 with no positive effect. Calls coming in continue to slow the GK to almost a complete halt as the queue flushes at rates of 100 - 200 calls per second. Faster CPU doesn't help (quad opteron).

bluce ree <bluceree@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
One more thing, I only want to slow the rate of calls per second. I don't want to limit the total number of concurrent calls.

bluce ree <bluceree@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We have a situation where a customer occasionally hits our box with hundreds of calls per second and it brings the gatekeeper down almost to a complete halt.

Is there any way to control the incoming rate of calls? In the config file i see the following parameter:

ListenQueueLength=1024

If I reduce that number to, say, 50, would that help?

Would reducing that number cause any other issues I should consider?

Is there another way I can limit the incoming connection queue to prevent being slammed?

Yahoo! Shopping

Yahoo! Shopping

Yahoo! Shopping