Re: Putting Load on GnuGK Full Proxy

[<nh>] I am trying to put some load on GnuGK and see how it performs.  It is a totally amazing experience.  Watching the status window seems a lot similar to the numbers dropping in the movie Matrix.
[<fi> ] Just for my information: What callgeni are you using? Dou you only test call signaling capacity or also voice quality? I'm very interested to learn more about you test setup.
[<nh>] CallGenI?  Do you mean CallGenerator? No, I'm not using any call generator.  I'm using this box LIVE in route, as a simple SS (FileIPAuth, no other Authentication) between my buyers and my terminators.  That is why I faced the nightmare today, when I added some capacity in the termination side, but increased the wrong IP's entry in the INI file (the wrong one was just 1 digit off).  :))  Took me around 3-4 minutes to figure out, but in those 3-4 minutes it felt as if my existence was at stake!!!

[<nh>] I'm running GnuGK Full Proxy & FileIPAuth on Win2003 with a PIV 2.4GHz 1024MB RAM system.  I've had no problems running 30-32 simultaneous calls.  I'm now testing with 40-50 calls, and faced the "Too Many Ports" error, which was corrected by increasing the CallSignalHandler and RtpHandler to 3 each.  Having a problem like this on a live system is just like your worst nightmare.
[<fi> ] If you run into port limitations, you may also use h.245 tunneling to "save" some ports per call.
[<nh>] Thanks for the tip.  Does that increase overhead?  Any performance bumps?  Any ideas on what impact CallSignalHandler and RtpHandler has on processor / memory usage?

[<nh>] Currently, my CPU is showing a 40-45% load. And, my memory utilization is at 150MB.  My Bandwidth Utilization is around 1.2-1.4 Mbps (G.723r63 codec only), as shown by DUMeter.

[<nh>] I have learned a few things during all this:

[<nh>] 1.  It's best to turn debugging off, when no debugging info is needed.  That makes the CPU load lower, and GnuGK more responsive.

[<fi> ] Yes, that's my experience too. It doesn't take much on debug trc 5 to generate lag on the call signaling.

[<nh>] 2.  When doing changes to the INI File, (Re)^n check your config file, for even the smallest of changes.  A small mistake can be fatal.

[<nh>] Now, here are my questions:

[<nh>] 1.  Is 40-45% load alright for my GnuGK to perform smoothly?  What should be the ideal range?
[<nh>] 2.  Will GnuGK be able to handle more / less calls if =>
[<nh>] 2 a.  Proxy is set to 0?

[<fi> ] Yes.  Diff: Factors.
[<nh>] Could you mention the factors?  I have ample BW (3Mbps), so BW is not an issue.  Would port count be reduced of Proxy is set to 0 (probably RTP ports wont be needed?)? What other factors?

[<nh>] 2 b.  OS is changed to Linux or FreeBSD or anything else?
[<fi> ] Linux yes (others i don't know). Diff: Some 10 percents more in best case.
[<nh>] Did you actually test on different OSes?  I remember someone (probably Michal) mentioning that Linux uses ports more efficiently.

[<nh>] 2 c.  I reduce RAM to 512 MB or even 256MB, since only 150 out of 1024 MB is shown by Windows as used?
[<fi> ]  On Windows, do not remove RAM, better think of adding add. RAM and disably swap file. Also, a fast mainbord and RAM can increase performance by some 10 percent easily.
[<nh>] Disable swap file?  What will that do?  As I said, my Mem Utilization is at only 15% max.  Would you still suggest adding more RAM?

[<nh>] => In all these 3 cases, how much difference in performance can I expect?
[<fi> ]  Please understand that i can only make an estimation based on my testing experience.
[<nh>] Yes, I was looking for sharing my experiences among GnuGKusers.

[<fi> ]  One more point about testing: if you reach limits, carefully check if it are gatekeeper limits or callgeni limits!
[<nh>]  As I said, I was checking with live Traffic, and the GnuGK was accepting calls from 2 different IPs (via FileIPAuth), each of which were Cisco5350.  And, they hit calls really fast, e.g., during those 3-4 minutes, when I had the wrong entry, I had around 10-15 call requests hitting every sec for a mere 5 ch increase in capacity.

[<nh>]  One other question, if I run multiple instances of GnuGK bound to different IPs on the same machine, will it be reducing the total Max Call Handling Capability count?  Say on the same Machine, I have the following setup:
1.  GnuGKX handling only Call Signalling (with FileIPAuth only), with Proxy set to 0.  This only routes the calls to other GnuGKs on the same machine.
2.  GnuGK1...n (1<n<10), all running on Proxy=1, and having FileIPAuth on each to accept from only GnuGKX.
Will this scenario reduce the total Max Call Capability of the whole BOX?

Thank you once again for you insights.

Regards
HASSAAN