forcing the selection of specified codecs when gk is in routed mode

Gnugk dev team,
I know  gnugk does not interfere with codec selection right now. it just conveys whatever  one endpoint sends to its peer. In many situations I found it is desireble to have global policy at the gatekeeper level that enforce  (the preference of ) special codecs  at the time of call setup.
I'm thinking about implementing this kind of feature in gnugk.
I would like to get your ideas on how  and what to change. How difficult or easy you guys think this change would be?.
Basically what I want is  have list of codecs in the gnugk config file.   When gatekeeper is in routed mode, I would need to modify the setup message of first endpoint so that I remove any codecs that is not in the list  before  I forward it to its peer.  After the removal of all the codecs that are not in the list, if that endpoint does have some codecs remaining, the setup will be forwarded to its peer otherwise the setup will be rejected.
I need to handle both FastStart and slow start.
Give me your ideas before I get my hand dirty.

Thanks