tunneling with local gnugk

My eventual goal is to use gnugk in ssl tunneling mode to connect two netmeetings, one of which is on my network while the other is behind a typical corporate firewall.

Setup 1 used two computers, both on my desk, and connected
via an ethernet switch. Each computer was running netmeeting and
gnugk. The two gnugks were neighbors runing in non-routed mode.
"GKRouted=0"
This setup worked immediately, and I was able to connect by name
from one netmeeting to the other.

Setup 2 used two computers, both on my desk, and connected
via an ethernet switch. Each computer was running netmeeting and
gnugk. The two gnugks were neighbors running in routed mode with
tunneling. "GKRouted=1"
I can no longer call from one netmeeting to the other. When I attempt a call, the phone rings fine on the called computer,
but when I accept the call, the calling computer never realizes
that the call has been accepted. The calling computer eventually times out and says
"the called party is unable to accept netmeeting calls". Much of the time, I am then unable to exit
from either GK with a control-C and I have to kill it
by destroying the MS-DOS window.

When I submitted a similar question to the list a few weeks ago,
I got the following helpful reply from Michal:

> From:    "Zygmuntowicz Michal" <m.zygmuntowicz@xxxxxxx>
> To:    <openh323gk-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re:  proxying with netmeeting
> Date:    Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17:04:56 +0100
>
> NetMeeting cannot tunnel H.245 messages, so it needs
> a separate H.245 connection. If your machines are on
> 127.0.0.1 interfaces, you may need to enable H245Routed
> and [Proxy] Enable=1.
> But I would recommend to use 4 machines to test and not
> use loopback interfaces, as it may be another source of problems.
> Just regular IPs.
>
> One small problem is that GnuGk cannot handle race conditions
> correctly when H.245 tunneling is disabled, so some of your calls
> may fail randomly, when both sides try to establish H.245 connection
> at the same time. I don't know whether this is a case with NM too.

I think I misinterpreted his reply to mean that it was impossible to use
tunneling when gnugk was running on the same computer as netmeeting.

I followed Michal's advice, borrowing two more computers so that I had a
4-computer setup.  This routed-proxying test worked great on my desk.
But I was very disappointed to think that I needed a 4-computer setup,
because that would mean that my customers will need to have two computers
under their control, which is difficult for many novice customers.

So can you please clarify this issue: In order to use gnugk
routed-proxy to tunnel through NAT and firewalls,
am I required to run each gnugk
on a separate machine from each netmeeting (a 4-computer setup) ? Or can routed-proxy be successful when gnugk and netmeeting
are running on the same computer (a 2-computer setup) ?

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: IntelliVIEW -- Interactive Reporting Tool for open source databases. Create drag-&-drop reports. Save time by over 75%! Publish reports on the web. Export to DOC, XLS, RTF, etc. Download a FREE copy at http://www.intelliview.com/go/osdn_nl