----- Original Message -----
From: <supertom64@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2005 5:21 PM

hi,
i am new to the list and did already a search about the NAT Q&A but couldn´t
find an answer for my problem right now.

we use videophones with the gnugk which works really pretty fine except some
problems with several NAT Routers.

the most problem we have is that the phone can connect the outside gk with
public ip and register correctly but at the channel setup the reply IP is
setup as an private IP.

isn´t there a way to rewrite the IP at the channel setup to the correct IP,
because the gk already knows the real IP of the phone behind the NAT (from
registration) and the private IP´s are also well known. (i know that many
SIP Provider will do this to establish connections with broken NATs)

i guess that some broken NAT routers try to rewrite the IP address at
translation but don´t do it the right way or as deep as it is necessary for
H.323.

e.g.
any phone or also a child gk behind a draytek vigor 2200X register with the
public IP instead of the private IP at registration.
gnugk states a NAT=0 (did s.b. know what are the different NAT Types?) at
the gk.log file with -ttttt
i assume that gnugk guess that the phone is without NAT or that there is no
translation necessary.
as an result at the channel setup the reply IP of the phone behind the
draytek router is an private IP which couldn´t obviously work.

it did not matter if i use dmz or portforwarding the result is always the
same, the other side can here and see me but i can´t nothing receive at my
side.

i could expand the list to some more routers e.g. some zyxel, dlink,
netgear, devolo etc.this is because of the upcomming and at the moment
mainstream broadband connections over ADSL with one dynamic IP (and a
disconnection every 24h) not really a fortune.

also setting up a proxy gk as a child gk behind such a NAT router will bring
some improvements.
(can i force the child (proxy) gk to be a NATed Endpoint?

could STUN which is already included in the openh323 protocol bring some
improvment? Any hints are warmest welcome :-)

thx in advance
TOM