Rewrite E164 question

Hello group,

I'm planning to use in my dial strings some special symbols, such as * or #. For ex: if one of my users wants to call an international number he/she will dial *+number. The problem is that I cannot rewrite numbers containing these special symbols in order to replace them with prefixes according to my providers requirements. Is it possible at all? Gnugk version is 2.0.8, on FreeBSD.

Thanks,
Cezar