From: openh323gk-users-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:openh323gk-users-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Stewart
Nelson
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 12:08 AM
To: openh323gk-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  GK for Behind-of-Linksys Router Endpoints

Hi Fernando,

> I have noticed that if I have an endpoint connected to a Linksys router,
or
> some other dumb router, I need to DMZ the EP.

Not quite true, you just need to forward the required ports.

> What happens then if I have multiple endpoints behind a single dumb
router?

If the endpoints can use different signaling and media ports, no problem.
For example, the ATA-186 looks like two independent endpoints and works
fine.
However, this is an administrative hassle if you have many endpoints on
different private addresses.

> Not sure how other developers did it, but I saw a product that allows
> multiple endpoints behind the dumb router, without any "special" config
> changes on the router, register to an outside GK, receive inbound calls
from
> the PSTN, and make outbound calls to the PSTN.

> Is this possible with GNUGK?

You can run gnugk behind the NAT and have many local endpoints register
to it.  However, you still need the NAT to forward required ports to gnugk.

I can't see how the product you describe could work with a "generic"
outside GK; I'd appreciate a link to the documentation.  Also, I suspect
that the outside GK would have to proxy everything, which is a
performance problem in many cases.

While it is often useful to put an endpoint behind a NAT over which
you have no control, e.g. in a hotel, it is hard for me to imagine a
situation where you install multiple endpoints, yet are not granted
the right to have some ports forwarded.  Could you please give some
more details about your application?

If you are just trying to provide PSTN access to multiple users at
a site, similar to Vonage, Packet8, Broadvoice, etc., IMHO you should
use SIP, just like those providers do.

--Stewart