gnugk failover solution

Is there any solutions for making a highly available cluster of gnugk's?
What I have in mind is not load balancing but a way for a pair of hosts running gnugk in a master slave logic and when the master gnugk fails the slave would take over.

A possible solution is carp (http://www.ucarp.org) but using only carp means that the calls, running at the moment the change from master to slave takes place, would be disconnected. This is logical since the one gatekeeper has no idea of the calls running on the other one and even if it knew there is still the issue of the tcp connection state that should be transferred from one machine to the other. I searched for this subject on google but I found only papers and proposals.

Has anynone else ever tried any other solution ?
Any ideas, hints?

Kyriakos