Re: Re: version 2.08 problem

> On Saturday 04 September 2004 20:28, Jan Willamowius wrote:
> The trouble is, we can't really go bug hunting in code that is 3
> versions behind the current one. Is something wrong with the FreeBSD
> version of 2.0.8 we provide on gnugk.org ? (I'm no BSD expert.)

I understand that bug hinting is out of the question here. I am simply
truing to provide feedback on how the GnuGk can be improved, and
interested in what went wrong - now I know its not that a temporary
file could not be created, I will relax..

BSDs differ from Linux in that there is top down management, and a
synchronised "ports" collection of applications which have been tested
to work together. (its called different things on different BSDs).

BSDs generally distribute all software as source code. Its often the
same source that is compiled under Linux, but bundled with extra
environment and patches so as to guarantee compilation and installation
in the BSD environment (directory structure also differs slightly from
Linux).

Tools are provided that allow you to install a softare package AND ALL
ITS DEPENDANCIES from source with a single command - all dependancies
are totally synchronised so that you do not break one application by
installing the dependancies of another.

Necessarily, this means that code does not advance at the speed it does
with Linux distros, but on the other hand, in a production environment,
you do not end up with 6 million users losing their service because you
applied a bug fix to a library that radius uses! This has its
attractions for a telco! (And other rampantly conservative BOFs)