Re: MD5

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 11:57:11 +0500
"Rafat Subhan" <rafat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> SimplePasswordAuth used PTEACypher  which is not MD5 algorithm. But i still
> saw logging messages like MD5 password match.
> what does it mean .please remove my confusion.
> there is also MD5 algo in Cypher.h why didnt sue it.

You really should spend more time looking at the code rather than asking
the same question over and over again.

1. As you point out, the authentication code that requires MD5 hashing
does work so it's unlikely that the TEA cypher is being used
accidentally. This is your first hint that you don't understand what is
happening, and hence should spend more time looking at the code.

2. TEA is a cypher, and MD5 is a hash. These are not the same thing and
cannot be used for the same purposes. This should be your second hint
that you don't understand what is going on.

3. A very quick look at the code shows that the TEA cypher is used to
avoid storing cleartext passwords in the authentication databases, while
the MD5 hash is used (correctly) for authentication. If you can't see
that yourself, then I'm not sure what else can be said to make it clearer

4. Why on earth do you need know this anyway?

   Craig

 Craig Southeren      craigs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx / craigs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243673140      MSN: craig_southeren@xxxxxxxxxxx
 Mobile: +61 417231046   Jabber: craigs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 Post Increment - Consulting & Services    http://www.postincrement.com
 Vox Gratia - The Open Source VoIP portal  http://www.voxgratia.org