GK or softswitch

Hi,
I am new to GNUgk (& for that matter all things to voip).
I am planning on setting up a commercial VOIP service.
I am planning on selling minutes through IP phones and pc2phone s/w.
One of my friends advised me to use asterisk. I dont understand the difference between a softswitch and a GK.Could someone plz clarify as to whether I must go for softswithc or GK.

If anyone has any reading material on the difference between GK and softswtch it would b gr8.

thankx in advance

luqman