From: Stewart Nelson [mailto:sn@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 09 July 2004 08:09
To: openh323gk-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Question about NATed endpoints

Hi,

The GW sends an RRQ with a private call signal address.
If the firewall is working correctly, it translates that to a public address
and forwards it to the GK, which should be unaware that the GW is behind a
NAT.  When the RCF comes in, the firewall makes an entry mapping the public
address to the private.  On an incoming setup, the GK opens a TCP connection
to the public address on typically port 1720, and the firewall forwards that
to the GW's private address.

Unfortunately, many firewalls require a non-default configuration setting
before they will do this.  If you have just one such endpoint, try it and
see if you can get it working.

If you plan to have many endpoints behind firewalls of different types over
which you have no administrative control, and you expect incoming calls to
work, you will surely run into trouble.
I can only suggest that you use a more NAT-friendly protocol, such as SIP or
IAX.  Perhaps there are others on this list who have solved the problem
using H.323.

--Stewart