pre-emptive use of H.323 proxy mode

I'll be running gnugk on a system that's also a NAT firewall.
Since connections will be established from "outside" (Internet) as well
as from "inside" (the NAT-ed network), it's probably wise to route
outside-to-inside and inside-to-outside connections through the gnugk
gatekeeper.

However, i wonder if it's better to not specify an InternalNetwork at
all, therefore forcing gnugk to route everything regardless.

I'm thinking - if two H.323 clients "outside" are behind NAT themselves,
they might have a better chance to connect successfully to each other
(outside-to-outside with clients sitting behind NAT) if my gatekeeper
forcefully routes everything, instead of let "outside" clients open some
channels directly between themselves.

That of course depends on the cleverness of their respective NAT
firewalls, but knowing how many NAT implementations out there are
broken, i'm thinking it's safer to route absolutely everything. Sure,
that will eat up some bandwidth on my gatekeeper, but that's not an
issue (i won't route too many clients, since this is not a public
service).

In a nutshell, i'll trade bandwidth for trouble-free operation.

What do you think - is this a reasonable evaluation?

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/