Re: seeking H.323 <-> MGCP (User Agent) gateway

Stewart Nelson wrote:
Hi all,

I am looking for a software package (free or not), or an
inexpensive hardware device, which can route calls between
a gnugk H.323 network and an MGCP-based voice service.

Translators that I have found, e.g. VOCAL or Asterisk,
function as Call Agents only, i.e. they act as MGCs, rather
than MGs.

You don't need any such MG. H.323 and MGCP devices both make use of RTP to transport the media stream. You can therefore have the RTP stream flow directly between a H.323 device that is attached to your gnugk and the MGCP device that is attached to whatever MGC it is attached to. What you need is a H.323-MGCP protocol translation unit which is placed between gnugk and that other MGC. I have never tried to make this work with VOCAL or Asterisk, but maybe they can do it (IIRC correctly VOCAL has PTUs for H323<->SIP and SIP<->MGCP, so that should work).

Markus