OpenPhone 1.8.1 registration with GnuGK 2.0.7

Hi,

I have found the origin of the problem that was preventing my OpenPhone 1.8.1 from registering to the GNUgk 2.0.7. The Debian 3.0 machine running 2.6 kernel (managed by someone else) where the gatekeeper is running has got a double interface to the Ethernet domain, one with IP 131.xxx.xxx.53 ("ip route" shows that this is the default interface) and the other with 131.xxx.xxx.69.

If I set my gatekeeper to use only the machine's default interface (via Home=131.xxx.xxx.53 in Gatekeeper::Main) automatic gk discovery and subsequent registration from OpenPhone (on machine with IP 131.xxx.xxx.233) succeeds, all RAS packets go via this interface.
-> See attached GIF file home_53.gif

If I set my gatekeeper to use only the 131.xxx.xxx.69 interface, automatic gk discovery succeeds. What is striking though is that the gatekeeper discovery broadcast packet GRQ is still being replied to with a GCF coming from interface 131.xxx.xxx.53.
  Q1> Why should it do so even if I tell the gatekeeper to use only the other interface??
Registration succeeds as well. What I don't understand is that OpenPhone sends the registration message to 131.xxx.xxx.69. I cannot see this IP address being relayed to OpenPhone in the GCF message, which comes from the 131.xxx.xxx.53 interface.
  Q2> Can anyone tell me how OpenPhone knows about the 131.xxx.xxx.69 address?
Finally, the RCF reply from the gk is sent out over the 131.xxx.xxx.69 interface.
-> See attached GIF file home_69.gif

If I do not set any Home= in the gatekeeper ini file, the gatekeeper replies with GCF to the broadcast GRQ via it's 131.xxx.xxx.53 interface. Automatic gatekeeper discovery therefore succeeds.
Next, OpenPhone sends a RRQ to the 131.xxx.xxx.69 interface (again, how can it know this IP?) but the gatekeeper replies via the (default) 131.xxx.xxx.53 interface.
  Q3> Am I correct with guessing that OpenPhone just does not want to accept this packet with a different IP source address than the one it sent the RRQ to?
Registration is therefore not successful ("Gatekeeper transport failure"). OpenPhone tries one more time by sending another RRQ message but course this attampt also fails.
-> See attached GIF file home_none.gif

I've got three more questions:
  Q4> can I specify anywhere the number of RRQs OpenPhone sends before deciding that registration did not succeed?
  Q5> why does OpenPhone always send out two GRQ messages almost instantaneously when in automatic gatekeeper discovery mode (I did not set any reregistration entry)?
  Q6> why does the gatekeeper send back 4 GCF messages if no home IP is specified and OpenPhone is in automatic gatekeeper discovery mode?

I hope that someone can shed some light on these issues.
Thanks in advance,

Rene.

From: Zygmuntowicz Michal

OpenPhone:
You should check "use gatekeeper", "require gatekeeper"
and enter gatekeeper IP in "static host" edit line.
Do not touch other settings (like "localinterface").

Multiple RRQ/RCF are sent if you specify reregistration
time to live. It seems to me that you set it to ca. 600 secs.