Re: Gateway -> GnuGK problem

Hi Omar,

I think I've missed something in your setup, as I'm not entirely sure what you are trying
to do. According to the setup your described, it won't work as you think it would, for the
following reasons:

1. Putting AcceptUnregisteredCalls=1 will cause stations sending Q.931 setup messages
to be forwarded on the GnuGk according to the prefix of the number.
2. If the prefix sent isn't found on any of the premanent endpoints, and only permanent
endpoints, the call is rejected. In order for a call to be routed into a neighbor GK, or
a registered endpoint, an LRQ must be omitted. As the call simply generated a Q.931
setup, there is no LRQ, thus the call can't be routed to endpoints/neighbors which require
LRQ. This feature is currently not supported on GnuGK - As far as I know.
3. I believe that you can set the registeration timeout of a registered endpoint to be infinite,
and thus you will "fix" a route, however, this is for sure not the way to go.

If you need this to work as you described, you need to do the following:

1. Allow AcceptUnregisteredCalls=1 on GK1.
2. Configure and [EndPoint] section on GK1, which will register to GK2, define the proper prefixes
on this EndPoint section.
3. When a Q.931 setup message will get to GK1, it will route it into the configured [EndPoint] and
an LRQ will be generated to GK2.
4. GK2 now gets the LRQ and may forward to GW2 according to the prefix.

The main issue here is that now GK1 can register to only one remote GK, so you can't have GK1
register any other GK's, apart from GK2.

Regards,
 Nir Simionovich

USear@alwaysonvpn.com wrote:

Hi, I hope some one can shed some light on an issue that I am having problems with.

The setup

---------------

Gateway (1) à GnuGK (1) à GnuGK (2) à Gateway (2)

The first two devices in this chain are in my control. I have configured the GnuGK (1) to neighbour GnuGK (2) and I believe GnuGK (2) has a similar setup to neighbour GnuGK (1).

If I place a call from an endpoint behind Gateway (1) the call gets rejected by GnuGK (1) with an error that there is no matching endpoint. It does not do an LRQ to GnuGK (2) at all.

A thing to note here is that Gateway (1) is not registering with GnuGK (1) and is treating it as a Gateway and just sending a Q931 setup message when placing a call. GnuGK (1) has been configured to accept unregistered calls and has Gateway (1) as a permanent registered endpoint.

If I attempt to make a call via an endpoint that is registered with GnuGk (1), to a destination that matches the prefix for GnuGK (2). GnuGK (1) sends an LRQ to GnuGK (2). Whether or not the call is successful I am now able to make calls using the first scenario. That is, from an endpoint behind Gateway (1).

It seems that after making a call attempt from the endpoint registered with GnuGK (1) a route to GnuGK (2) is cached for a short period. And for that duration calls from endpoints behind Gateway (1) are able to make successful calls. This cached route obviously expires after a short period, and things go back to square 1!.

Can someone explain what's happening, is there a workaround or is there something that I maybe missing in my setup.

Another thing worth mentioning here is that in the case of the Call attempt from the endpoint registered with GnuGK (1) there is an ARQ in the call attempt which is missing in the call attempts coming from Gateway (1).

I would appreciate any help that I can get at the earliest convenience.

Thanks

Umar

Registered in England No. 04348334.
Tel: (+44) 0118 965 5600

This message is subject to and does not create or vary any
contractual relationship between alwaysON Group, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("Emperian & alwaysON") and you. Internet communications are
not secure and therefore alwaysON Group does not accept legal responsibility
for the contents of this message. Any view or opinions expressed
are those of the author. The message is intended for the addressee
only and its contents and any attached files are strictly confidential.
If you have received it in error, please telephone the number above.
Thank you.