How to improve the Proxy-mode performance?

Dear Sirs,

I'm running Gnugk2.0.5 in a RedHat 7.3 Box with: Celeron 2.1 GHz, 512 RAM,
with a SiS PCI-Lan Card.  The Internet link is 1.5Mbps and has no packet
loss.

The GK is running is proxy mode but the voice quality begins to be affected
after 12 calls aprox. (%CPU ~50%).

In my understanding,  when a  RTP packet comes, the Lan Card issues an IRQ
to the processor in order to rewrite the packet. So, What could be the best
way to increase the number of calls in Proxy mode?

Thanks for your help,

Humberto Quintana