Re: Using ASM for invokedynamic bytecode generation

On 08:38 Thu 08 Sep     , Pekka Enberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I started hacking on invokedynamic again:
>
> https://github.com/penberg/classpath/commit/21c457f4928678bb5709dfc5a992b80f0d02c4b8
>
> https://github.com/penberg/jato/commits/indy
>
> I'm planning to use ASM for generating bytecode for method handle
> chains. Does that sound like a reasonable thing to do? We already
> carry the ASM code under tools/external/asm/. Can I just move that
> under external/ and rename the package so that it doesn't clash with
> the upstream project?
>
>                         Pekka

I'd rather we just depended on it.   The current version is outdated as
it is.

As to the code, a number of comments:

* Can we keep fields near the top of the class?  I don't know about others,
but personally I find it hard to track things if fields are hiding at the
bottom of a class.
* The unimplemented ones should declare and throw gnu.classpath.NotImplementedException
so JAPI picks it up, not UnsupportedOperationException which has different semantics.
* Why are you redefining toString() as a stub?  The default from Object would do.
* Indenting is out in VMMethodHandles.java and you need some line breaks on those
long definitions.
--
Andrew :)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
Contribute to GNU Classpath and IcedTea
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://icedtea.classpath.org
PGP Key: F5862A37 (https://keys.indymedia.org/)
Fingerprint = EA30 D855 D50F 90CD F54D  0698 0713 C3ED F586 2A37