Re: Review request for 6977034 Thread.getState() very slow

Hi Mandy,

On 6 December 2010 19:26, Mandy Chung <mandy.chung@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Remi, Eamonn, Brian, David, Doug,
>
> Thanks for the feedback.

I don't know if you welcome external feedback, but I'd like to point
out (if you're not already aware) that this change modifies the VM
interface.

While I'm cognisant of the reason for the change, my understanding of
the existing map mechanism is that it makes the JDK class library
independent of the underlying VM thread status values.  The value of
Thread.threadStatus is opaque, with the mapping from VM thread status
being determined by the following VM interface functions (see
hotspot/src/share/vm/prims/jvm.h):

------------------
/*
 * Returns an array of the threadStatus values representing the
 * given Java thread state.  Returns NULL if the VM version is
 * incompatible with the JDK or doesn't support the given
 * Java thread state.
 */
JNIEXPORT jintArray JNICALL
JVM_GetThreadStateValues(JNIEnv* env, jint javaThreadState);

/*
 * Returns an array of the substate names representing the
 * given Java thread state.  Returns NULL if the VM version is
 * incompatible with the JDK or the VM doesn't support
 * the given Java thread state.
 * values must be the jintArray returned from JVM_GetThreadStateValues
 * and javaThreadState.
 */
JNIEXPORT jobjectArray JNICALL
JVM_GetThreadStateNames(JNIEnv* env, jint javaThreadState, jintArray values);

------------------

These two functions are used by the native method
sun.misc.VM.getThreadStateValues to setup the arrays which are then
used to initialise the map.

This change breaks this abstraction, and requires Thread.threadStatus
to be a JVM TI thread state (which happens to match Hotspot's internal
thread state).  This change will therefore break any VM which does not
have an internal thread state based on JVM TI.

As far as I'm aware, IKVM and CACAO are currently the only other users
of OpenJDK (I'm also nearing completion of a port to JamVM).
Unfortunately, from looking at CACAO I can see that this change will
break it.  It may also break IKVM, but I haven't checked.  I, of
course, can modify the internal thread states of JamVM to be
compatible.

I'm CC'ing CACAO's mailing list and GNU Classpath so that affected
parties can be made aware of this change.  As an aside, will there be
any later clean-up of the native method implementation and VM
interface?

Thanks,
Rob.