[ANNOUNCE] Jato v0.0.1 - a simple JIT-only virtual machine for Java

Hi all,

I am proud to announce the release of Jato v0.0.1 "buy more RAM"-edition!

Jato is a JIT-only virtual machine for Java that can run some simple programs
under GNU/Linux on modern 32-bit x86 CPUs. A port to the x86-64 machine
architecture is currently being developed. Jato depends on GNU Classpath to
provide core Java runtime classes.

The VM is licensed under the GPLv2 with the GNU Classpath linking exception
which makes embedding Jato to third-party applications possible.

You can download version 0.0.1 here:

  http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/java/jato/jato-0.0.1.tar.bz2

For further details on git repository, issue tracker, mailing list, IRC
channel, and documentation, please check out our home page at:

  http://jatovm.sf.net/

Features of the VM:

  - Supports the full JVM instruction set on 32-bit x86 machines running under
    GNU/Linux

  - Support for GNU Classpath 0.96

  - JIT-only execution

  - Linear scan register allocator

  - Support for profiling Java programs with the Performance Counters ("perf")
    tool of Linux 2.6.31 and later

  - No JIT optimizations! ("Write tight code!")

  - No verifier! ("Don't run untrusted programs!")

  - No garbage collector! ("Buy more RAM!")

Applications which run under the VM:

  - System.out.println("hello, world")

  - Sun Microsystem's Hello World Swing

  - SciMark2

  - Not a whole lot more!

I would like to thank Jim Huang, Arthur Huillet, Saeed Siam, Vegard Nossum,
Tomek Grabiec, and Eduard-Gabriel Munteanu for making the release happen and
Google for letting us participate in Summer of Code 2008 and 2009!

If you're interested in helping out, the simplest way to get started is to try to
run your favorite Java applications and send us bug reports (or patches) at
jatovm-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or drop by at #jato on irc.freenode.net when
you see the VM crash and burn!

			Pekka