Re: trouble w/ synchronized close method in PushbackInputStream

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Mario Torre <neugens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't think this is a safe way of resolving bugs, maybe in this case
> it is (but I have to look at the code),

Well, certainly I don't think so either. Fixing this problem safely
probably requires a careful analysis of the PushbackInputStream
to see what really needs to be synchronized, and by what means.
Unfortunately I simply don't have the time to go into it.

> Maybe the problem is caused by some threads doing unrelated things, so
> in this case having an object to use as semaphore, instead of "this",
> may be of help.

Agreed, that's a good idea.

> Can you provide an example causing the deadlock?

Well, unfortunately I don't have anything simpler than this:
with an instance of the Apache commons.net FTPClient,
open the session, do some operations, and then call
FTPClient.disconnect. That deadlocks in PushbackInputStream.
Sorry I can't be more specific.

Robert Dodier