Re: FW: Help a noob?

Christian Thalinger wrote:
On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 21:03 +0100, Robert Lougher wrote:
Hi,

You could always try JamVM.  It doesn't need javac to build, just a C
compiler.  It also supports MIPS32 (o32).  The problem is, it has
never been built or tested on IRIX.  However, it's pretty portable,
and as long as IRIX has pthreads and dlopen, etc. it should work with
minor modifications.  You will need to update configure.ac to
recognise IRIX, and either create an os/irix directory by copying the
linux implementation, or just use the linux directory directly, e.g:

mipsel-*-irix) host_cpu=mips host_os=linux ;;

I'm guessing here what the canonical host string is for IRIX/MIPS32.
As a matter of interest, is IRIX/MIPS big or little endian?

Hi Robert!

The host string on our IRIX is:

$ ./config.guess mips-sgi-irix6.5

AFAIK, MIPS CPUs can be boot little or big endian.  But I don't know if
that applies to all MIPS implementations.

As far as I know, all SGIs/IRIX are configured for big-endian.

David Daney