Building the VM classes

Hi all,

I recently noticed that our VM classes had acquired code that uses the
1.5 language features.  As I believe we agreed to keep these 1.4-clean
with respect to the language features, I've removed these.  I assume
we wish to keep this policy as the only deficit is in brevity of the
source code (as we are only talking about 1.4 with respect to the
language specification).

To prevent this happening again, I suggest we change our build to
compile these classes separately using -source 1.4 -target 1.4 (as I
did to find the regressions).  In looking through our build
environment to work out how to do this, I noticed that we compile a
list of VM classes in vm.add which is then thrown away.  The final
classes list we use doesn't contain the VM classes (they are dragged
in as dependencies instead).  Does anyone know the logic behind our
gen-classlist.sh script?  My suggestion would be to simply keep vm.add
as well as classes and compile this using the 1.4 options.

What do others think of this proposal?

Thanks,
--
Andrew :-)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8