Re: Quality control and FOSS rant

On 11/01/2008, Mark Wielaard <mark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Andy,

snip...

> > > No problem, but remember that it's a troll, because you're commenting
> > > about something you don't know that much about.  Read into things a
> > > little more and you'd probably have a greater appreciation for things,
> > > even if you don't agree with them.
> > >
> > OK, and feel free to let me know which things you think I don't know
> > much about.
> > Otherwise, it comes across as a baseless personal attack.
>
> I don't think they are baseless.
> You have your way of doing business (http://jdkfixes.com/) and we have
> our way. You are more than welcome to actually join any of the free
> software projects (GNU Classpath, OpenJDK, IcedTea, BrandWeg, GCJ,
> Kaffe, etc) and really participate in the community and shape its
> directions. We even give you the freedom to do it completely like you
> want to somewhere else on your own according to your own standards. If
> all you want to do is just argue for argues sake and not actually
> contribute to the development of the project I kindly ask you to do so
> elsewhere.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

I'm not going to further this discussion for the reasons Mark has
already outlined; I don't feel it's getting anyone anywhere fast and
this is not the appropriate place for such a long pointless debate
about such things -- try JavaLobby or Slashdot.  I do however feel I
should respond to your point about this being a personal attack.  It's
an interesting insight into your mindset if you would interpret what
was a mere statement of fact (you're a proprietary software developer
who has not actively participated in a FOSS project before) as such.

Thanks -- some of your comments were mildly entertaining for a little
while, but I think we're all a little bored now and would prefer to
move on.
--
Andrew :-)

Support Free Java!