Re: Announcing Brandweg: Classpath fused with OpenJDK patches

On 09/01/2008, Andrew Haley <aph@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andrew John Hughes writes:

> Comments and criticisms welcome.

This sounds interesting.  One small thing: *please* make very sure
that we keep good track of all contributors who make patches to
OpenJDK, and make sure we can push stuff upstream, with SCA copyright
assignment grants wherever possible.  If we don't do that, our
bugfixes may get lost.

Thanks,
Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903

Of course.  BrandWeg doesn't hold any code itself, it's purely patches in exactly the
same way as IcedTea (I blatantly based the patching code on IcedTea's) and I expect most
of these to be to integrate OpenJDK code into Classpath's build system rather than code
changes.  What code changes are required will be pushed to the appropriate place when possible,
and obviously that includes SCAs for OpenJDK just as there are assignments for code in
the Classpath base (the only difference being that I expect most people hacking on it will have
the latter).  On the technical side, we of course know who has commit access, have a ChangeLog, etc.
(the usual), but obviously due care needs to be taken on the social side to ensure there are no
issues.

Hope that answers your questions,
Thanks,
--