Re: [cp-patches] FYI: Allow ecj to work via com.sun.tools.javac.Main

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 07:44:24PM +0200, Christian Thalinger wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 17:12 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
> >  > That's true.  But a normal CACAO or JamVM installation does not
> > have a
> >  > jre/ directory, as we follow the GNU rules.
> >
> > Sure, but real-world Java applications assume a particular layout.
> > Maybe they shouldn't, but they do.  It's not just ecj that makes this
> > assumption to find things.  The easiest fix is to install a few
> > symlinks in the appropriate places.  You can't tell me that GNU rules
> > disallow this, surely.
>
> I know they do and a long time ago we tried to mimic a JDK directory
> structure when installing, but we removed all that code (I think because
> of Debian's rules, but not sure about that).
>
> Normally distribution packagers care about this JRE-layout (as we call
> it):
>
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/cacao/alpha/filelist
>
> CACAO also has a --with-jre-layout configure option where we search for
> the classes and for the libraries at runtime, relative to the binary
> (just as HotSpot does).

It would be great if cacao (or any another free runtime) puts the
according symlinks in some configurable place like
/usr/lib/jvm/java-$JAVAVERSION-$NAME in addition to the normal install
into into the $PREFIX  (normally /usr in distros).

Cheers
Michael