Re: Problems bulding classpath 0.93 on ARM5

Hi,

On 10/8/07, Christian Thalinger <twisti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 01:42 -0700, Larry Suto wrote:
> > Hi I am trying to get classpath .93 compiled for a Marvell ARM5
> > processor.....I can compile in the scratchbox crosscompile environment
> > without any problems...but if  copy the classpath files over to the
> > native environmentI get this error from jamvm
> >
> > sh-2.05b# ./gjar
> > Cannot create system class loader
> > Exception occured while printing exception
> > (java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError)...
> > Original exception was java/lang/UnsatisfiedLinkError
>
> Can you run JamVM with -verbose:jni to see which native method is
> failing?
>
> - twisti

Could you also provide details of how you configured/built JamVM and Classpath?

In general, there are two common problems people have when
cross-compiling JamVM :

1) They configure JamVM/Classpath on the host to install in one place,
and then copy the files to somewhere else on the target.  This doesn't
work, because JamVM builds at compile time default boot class and
library paths based on where it was configured to be installed.

By default, JamVM is installed in /usr/local/jamvm, and Classpath
/usr/local/classpath.  You can change the place using --prefix=xxx
when running configure.  If you also move Classpath, you need to tell
JamVM this by using the --with-classpath-install-dir=xxx configure
option (this should be set to the --prefix value you gave to
Classpath's configure).

You can also override the defaults at runtime, e.g.

jamvm -Xbootclasspath:/path/to/JamVMs/classes.zip:/path/to/Classpaths/glibj.zip
-Dgnu.classpath.boot.library.path=/path/to/Classpaths/lib/dir ...

2) Copying Classpath onto a fat/vfat formatted device.

When Classpath is built, libtool creates library names with version
numbers in them, and creates symbolic links for shorter forms (from
memory) :

libX.so.0.0.0
libX.so.0 -> libX.so.0.0
libX.so -> libX.so.0

The problem is fat/vfat does not support symbolic links, so the short
forms are lost when Classpath is copied onto it.

Either:

a) For each library in .../classpath/llib/classpath rename
libX.so.0.0.0 to libX.so

or,

b) Use tar and the -h option to follow the sybolic links.  However,
this will create 3 versions of each library when you unpack, so you
should delete the libX.so.0, and libX.so.0.0 versions.

Hope this helps,

Rob.