Re: PBEWithMD5AndDES Implementation

On Jul 16, 2007, at Jul 16, 3:31 PM, Lillian Angel wrote:

Hi,

I am currently working on IcedTea and trying to get the testcase attached to the bug report [1] working. I need to implement the PBEWithMD5AndDES algorithm. I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction? I do not have much experience with crypto.

This is not implemented in Classpath either, so it will be worth implementing.

I'm pretty sure that "PBEwithMD5andDES" in the JDK's parlance refers to RSA's password-based encryption spec, PKCS #5, version 1.5 [1]. The "MD5" refers to the MD5 MessageDigest, and the "DES" the DES Cipher.

The way to go here is to write a generic PBE implementation, and subclass it for each hash and cipher combination in Classpath. This shouldn't be too difficult, since the MessageDigest and Cipher bits are already implemented.

Classpath implements a later (alas, incompatible) version of this spec, in gnu.javax.crypto.jce.cipher.PBES2.

1. ftp://ftp.rsasecurity.com/pub/pkcs/ascii/pkcs-5.asc