Re: Experimental Build Repository at icedtea.classpath.org

Hi Stuart (CC distro-pkg-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx),

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 11:11 -0400, Stuart Ballard wrote:
> I thought it'd be interesting to see how
> IcedTea fares japiwise. I suppose that becomes less interesting if the
> stuff IcedTea is missing isn't reflected in the API itself, but
> still...

That would be cool! But we currently don't have the build setup
(currently investigating how to get it all going on Debian 3.0/Etch,
because people have till now only used Fedora 7 to bootstrap, but almost
all our classpath infrastructure machines are Debian based) nor do we
really have the capacity to do such a massive build, but maybe we can
add it to builder.classpath.org later on. So you will have to do with
compiling from source yourself for now.

Japi-wise it really is more-or-less fully complete with respect to the
public api (but since some things aren't fully connected between the
openjdk and classpath parts and some small parts are stubbed, only the
non-gui parts really work well). Results would of course still be cool
because it would capture api-changes between the official 1.6 and
icedtea. Hopefully we can keep using your JDK matrix for that for now
http://sab39.netreach.com/Software/Japitools/JDK_Results/46/
The JDK 7 Beta part should be more or less identical to what Icedtea
would give. At a certain point I suspect an OpenJDK/Icedtea branch that
focuses on getting a full JDK6-like GPL build will emerge and then we
definitely want to add that to japi of course.

Cheers,

Mark