GNU/Classpath & OpenJDK

Hi all,

Reading planet.classpath.org I see most people are already aware that most
openjdk source code got released under the GPL at JavaOne. Other good news
is that Dalibor got on the initial governance board to help shape the
community.

I already talked briefly with Eben Moglen (the legal counsel to the FSF)
who was also around at JavaOne (*) and he seemed pretty confident that
there are no real major legal gotchas. But I promised to send him a list
of legal notices, the extra assembly exception and the updated
contributor agreement so he and/or the FSF/FSLC could go over them and
help with anything that might make combinations of GNU Classpath & OpenJDK
easier.

If you have any specific concerns please send me an email and I'll pass it
on or even try to catch a Sun legal person walking around at JavaOne to
clarify things (but email access might be spotty, so please have some
patience).

Cheers,

Mark

(*) Eben was in a session with Cliff Schmidt from Apache about legal
issues and they promised to work hard together to make any remaining
compatibility issues with ASLv2 and GPLv3 go away for the final GPLv3
version.