Re: Question about license

Hi 'hultul',

On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 10:18 +0900, hultul wrote:
> I'm developing JVM implementation which uses GNU Classpath as runtime
> class library.
> I have two questions about the license of GPLv2 with GNU Classpath
> Exception, though I'm not sure whether those questions are adequate
> for GNU Classpath community.

Since this is a developer list focused on code it is best is to ask
specific legal questions to licensing@xxxxxxxx They are happy to answer
any legal question around free software, there is also the Software
Freedom Law Center http://www.softwarefreedom.org/ that handles such
things. For proprietary software you can also contact the FSF Compliance
Lab http://www.fsf.org/licensing/compliance.html

> 1. Can I bundle GNU Classpath binary without any modification and my
> JVM(thought to be not under GPL), and distribute that not under GPL?
>
> 2. If I make some proprietary classes(e.g. java.lang.ClassLoader) be
> loaded prior to GNU Classpath's classes, am I modify GNU Classpath? If
> so, are those proprietary classes and/or JVM implementation should be
> under GPL?

If you combine GNU Classpath with independent modules to produce an
executable you can copy and distribute the resulting executable under
terms of your choice. See
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/license.html and
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/faq/faq.html#faq2_1
But we do of course hope you will release your program as free software
under the GPL whenever possible to share with the community.

We try to set things up so that you don't have to override or change any
of the core classes directly (they should be [and are!] easily sharable
between lots of runtimes). For the connection between ClassLoader and
the runtime there is VMClassLoader which handles all VM interaction. See
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/docs/vmintegration.html
Please do let us know if these VM/Platform interfaces are not flexible
enough, we would love to help and improve them.

Cheers,

Mark