Re: Classpath Tools and JamVM with --disable-zip

On Jan 28, 2007, at 1:13 PM, Alexander Gromnizki wrote:

Hi,

Prologue: I'm very new to Java.

After compiling and installing on FreeBSD 6.0 Classpath 0.93
(--with-jikes --disable-gtk-peer --disable-gconf-peer --disable-plugin
--enable-local-sockets --enable-xmlj --prefix=/opt/java) and JamVM 1.4.4
(--prefix=/opt/java --with-classpath-install-dir=/opt/java
--disable-zip) I did:

# pwd
/opt/java/share/classpath
# unzip glibj.zip
# unzip tools.zip
# rm glibj.zip tools.zip

And my HelloWorld test runs fine. But when I'm trying to execute any
Classpath tool (for example, gjar) I'm getting:

% jamvm gnu.classpath.tools.jar.Main

[...]

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Inappropriate ioctl for device
   at gnu.java.nio.VMChannel.available(Native Method)

That method does this in Classpath:

  jint avail = 0;
  if (ioctl (fd, FIONREAD, &avail) == -1)
    JCL_ThrowException (env, IO_EXCEPTION, strerror (errno));
  return avail;

I'm not a FreeBSD expert, but I would have thought that it would support the FIONREAD ioctl. The FD may not be a file in this case, but I can't imagine what it would be otherwise, given the rest of the stack:

   at gnu.java.nio.VMChannel.available(VMChannel.java:144)
   at gnu.java.nio.FileChannelImpl.available(FileChannelImpl.java:188)
   at java.io.FileInputStream.available(FileInputStream.java:179)
   at java.io.FilterInputStream.available(FilterInputStream.java:129)
   at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:276)
   at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(FilterInputStream.java:173)
   at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(InputStreamReader.java:459)
   at java.io.BufferedReader.fill(BufferedReader.java:373)
   at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:475)
   at java.util.Properties.load(Properties.java:201)
at java.util.PropertyResourceBundle.<init> (PropertyResourceBundle.java:109)
   at java.util.ResourceBundle.tryBundle(ResourceBundle.java:483)
   ...11 more

So, can we use Classpath Tools when JamVM was compiled with
--disable-zip option?

As far as I know this should work. The gotcha here is likely the properties files, which the code was trying to read when it threw this exception.

Do you have the file gnu/classpath/tools/common/Messages.properties in your share/classpath directory?