GJDoc

Hi everyone,

Now that the generics branch has been merged back to HEAD, there is one
major component still lacking support: our documentation generator,
gjdoc.  There was some discussion about this last year, but nothing has
yet been done and, as we approach our first generics-only release
(0.94), we need to sort out what to do.

At present, gjdoc accounts for a fair number of Classpath bug reports
and a quick attempt I made tonight using CVS suggests that it may even
have problems building on more modern setups (I had to patch autogen.sh
to get it to recognise a newer version of autoconf, and it doesn't seem
to like the build of gcj I have).

Do we have a plan for this?  As I see it, we could probably patch it
enough to get it to at least parse HEAD before the release (even if it
does nothing with the new information), and this means we can still have
up-to-date documentation with the release.  This assumes we can all
commit to the gjdoc module, as with the classpath module, which I'm not
sure about.

After that, I think we have three options:

a) continue with the current version of gjdoc and try and fix it.
b) re-factor gjdoc as suggested by Julian last year, probably to use ecj
as a parser.
c) move to an alternative solution.

Comments?

Thanks,
--
Andrew :-)

public class gcj extends Freedom implements Java { ... }