Re: [cacao] build of cacao svn trunk broken

On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 11:58:38AM +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Reversing this part makes things happy again. As seen above
> BOOTCLASSPATH is empty and doesn't seem to be defined anywhere else in
> the Makefiles.

Right.  This one slipped in as I did my Java ME commits.  SVN trunk now
does support Sun's phoneme CLDC-1.1 classes.  Currently it's a bit
tricky to get it compiled, but it works.  Here are some advices to get
it working:

1. Get phoneme sources and compile the CLDC-1.1 classes (of course :-).

2. configure CACAO with:

  --enable-java=cldc1.1 (builds a CLDC-1.1 compatible JVM)
  --with-classpath=cldc1.1 (tells we're using CLDC-1.1 classes)
  --with-classpath-prefix (this _must_ be the prefix of a GNU Classpath
  installation, as I haven't fixed the jni.h issue yet)
  --with-classpath-classes (this is the renamed
  --with-classpath-glibj-zip option, this should point to the CLDC-1.1
  classes)

3. Build CACAO.

4. As we need some header files during bootstrap, we have a problem
here, as these headers are currently pre-generated ones from GNU
Classpath and do not fit with Sun's CLDC-1.1 classes.  Thus, build
CACAO, and then do:

  make -C src/native/include cleanall && make -C src/native/include &&
  make

This rebuilds all header files and recompiles CACAO (but this step has
only to be done once).

5. Add . to the BOOTCLASSPATH (Can someone tell me how Sun's VM does
this?  Maybe I should just add . for Java ME configurations).

6. Run CACAO (and I hope it works ;-).

I haven't implemented all native functions yet, so if you're find a
missing one, tell me about it and I'll implement it.

Have fun!

- twisti