RE: Migration to generics opens up exciting optimization opportunities from annotations

Ian Rogers wrote:
> I'm interested in adding these optimization to the Jikes RVM, but
> clearly the annotations need adding to Classpath. I was
> wondering what kind of response this would get?

I've been thinking about using annotations for similar things and one of
the things that I think makes this very viable is that it is easy to
"ignore" the annotations by changing their RetentionPolicy. So if
someone doesn't want to bloat their class files with a particular
annotation, simply change that annotation's RetentionPolicy to SOURCE.

One thing that this does suggest is that might be a good idea to keep
all these annotations in the same package (or tree of sub packages).

Regards,
Jeroen