Request for enlighment (newbie struggling with classpath and gij)

Hello folks,

I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by eventually posting to the wrong
list.

I am trying to find out how to run a Swing app called OmegaT
(http://www.omegat.org or http://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat) I use
for everyday translation work on Linux. For some special reasons Sun's JDK
does not work as expected in my environment, so I tried GNU Classpath.

I read somewhere on gcc's list Classpath 0.92 was integrated with the
newest gcc snapshots, so I downloaded gcc-4.2-20060930, compiled and
installed it. I am using it with a new, almost blank user account. I
installed gcc to /opt/gcc,  prepended /opt/gcc/bin to the PATH environment
variable, set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to /opt/gcc/lib.

I executed gij -jar OmegaT.jar in the command line. gij complained: Cannot
load AWT toolkit: gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit.

I tried to set CLASSPATH to
/opt/gcc/share/java/libgcj-4.2.0.jar:/opt/gcc/share/java/libgcj-tools-4.2.0.jar,
but that didn't help either.

What am I doing wrong? How to get a graphical AWT/Swing app work with
Classpath?

Thanks for the answer in advance.

Zoltan Bartko