Re: problem with "extern inline" function in javanio.c

Edwin Steiner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a problem with the "extern inline" functions in javanio.c:
>
>      symbol lookup error: /home/edwin/local/classpath/lib/classpath/libjavanio.so:
>      undefined symbol: cpnio_read
>
> It is caused by this:
>
> edwin@yukon:~/ss/cvs/classpath$ nm ./native/jni/java-nio/.libs/gnu_java_nio_VMChannel.o | grep cpnio_read
> U cpnio_read
> U cpnio_readv
>
> The code seems to assume that "extern inline" forces inlining, which is
> not true AFAIK. I propose changing all "extern inline" to "static inline",
> which solves the problem for me and should produce equally efficient code.

Huh, that's odd. I thought I read that `extern inline' *did* force the
function to be inlined. Maybe it is like Andrew said, that this is the
GNU C behavior, not the C99 one.

What C compiler are you using?

If 'static inline' works on GCC and on other compilers, it should be
fine to use that.