Re: Bootstrapping GNU Classpath on Fedora Core 5

Paul> IMHO the INSTALL file in the distribution should contain enough detail
Paul> on requirements for people to be able to build. I'll take a look at
Paul> updating that if necessary and maybe compare notes with you offline
Paul> Alexander?

Yeah, that would be handy.  Updating it for all the distros when
things change may be a bit painful, but it is worth trying.

Paul> If mozilla devel dependency is not available on the system, I think it
Paul> should be picked up at configure time and either error or disable plugin
Paul> then, not have configure step succeed but compile fail later.

I like configure arguments in situations like this to be 3-state: if
nothing is specified, default to what is on the system, but if the
feature is explicitly requested, error out during configure if the
dependencies are not available.

This lets us maintain "best effort" -- handy for builds in eclipse,
for instance -- but also lets power users request a specific set of
features and get a real failure if the request can't be satisfied.

Tom