Re: New news about an OpenSource Sun Java

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 18:52 +0200, Audrius Meskauskas wrote:
> Ha, "Sun doesn't have rights to some elements such as the software to
> render fonts on a screen, so there will be proprietary modules that
> accompany the open-source software". We will see soon that kind of
> rights do they have on all omg.org.*. Why not to release under GPL,
> taking these classes from us?

Yes, it seems like it would be good to help them out whenever we can. I
am cautiously optimistic that Sun might actually be able to do the right
thing in the long term. On the other hand it is much too early to really
say anything concrete about their plans since it is all so vague. We
might end up with just promises, another incompatible license, and
chunks of proprietary closed binaries needed to get a working system.

Tom posted a very informative blog about it all which is a must read:
http://tromey.com/blog/?p=262
Thanks for that summary Tom!

Cheers,

Mark