Re: Torturing image ops and Swing

Hi Norman,

anyone interested in torturing our Swing, awt.image and javax.image operations
a bit?

Sure. These are packages that require lots of work still. David started to write Mauve tests and fix awt.image I think.

Long text with a question buried at the end. Sorry, but I had to get this
off my soul; feeling much better already :-)

Yeah. If you're feeling good, then you could write some bug reports, this way you make sure the headaches don't come back ;-)

I have just uploaded a new, completely re-written version of my image viewer to http://tams-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/personal/hendrich/niffler/index.html

Cool! I'll give it a try soon.

1. Select menu > File > Open image directory... and select a directory with
   some images. This is the first challenge, because JFileChooser is still
about as user-unfriendly as possible. (I somewhat fear that many first-time
   classpath users might give up after trying to use JFileChooser. This is
   unfortunate, because the rest of Swing works pretty well these days.)

I put some work into JFileChooser lately (in response to your bugreports as you might already know). I'd like to resolve the remaining issues. It would be helpful if you could identify more specific problems (like in your last JFileChooser bugreports) and file file bugreports. This way I can focus better on the real problems.

3. ...
   Nitpicking: the splitpane dividers look bad.

Erm. Gotta do some work on that too. Please file a bugreport for that too.

9. Select Help > Commands...  A simple JTextArea in a JScrollPanel, but
with about 700 lines of text. Try scrolling. Painfully slow. The vertical
    scrollbar only scrolls down on click event (but dragging works).

Hmm. JTextArea should definitely be a little faster :-) The error might be related to the sloppy performance, since it means that it probably didn't blit while scrolling. Gotta look into it. Oh and please file a .. I repeat myself ;-)

10. Neither JOptionPane (Help > About) nor JToolTip include support for
HTML formatting (e.g. the histogram tooltip). Audrius told me that the HTML
    parser part already works for my examples, but the parser isn't used...

Oh yes, we have some HTML parsing and rendering stuff in the meantime. I gotta build it into the components that ought to support this crap^H^H^H^Huseful feature.

However, what should I do about the repaint performance issue? Is there
an inherent reason why images of type BufferedImage.TYPE_INT_RGB
render so slowly?

Might be related to the fact that GTK uses ABGR for it's surfaces (at least that is what I remember, don't nail me down on that).

/Roman