Howto generate configure?

Hello,

I would like to try out Classpath-CVS to experiment a bit with Roman's
great xawt-implementation.
However in CVS there are no scripts like configure available, so I
tried autoconf (thats usually what I type in if I don't find these
file *lol*), however I get messages like this:

configure.ac:40: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
     See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:56: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONDITIONAL

I am completly undereducated when it comes down to the whole
make/automake stuff, so yes I am ashamed because of this mail ;-)

Any help would be really welcome, thank you in advance.

lg Clemens