Java2d Benchmarking results

Francis Kung wrote:
> Hi Christian, Roman,
>
>> How can I run the benchmarks?  I'd like to run it with CACAO.
>
>>From your classpath directory (/usr/local/classpath/share/classpath by
> default) you can invoke it using "cacao
> gnu.classpath.examples.java2d.J2dBenchmarkGUI"
>
>> Yeah sure, most of the work is done in native code, so it doesn't really
>> matter if the VM is an interpreter, completely compiled or jit.
>
> I was talking to fitzsim yesterday, and we also figured that it was
> down to Cairo.  I spent a bit of time trying to install cairo with
> glitz, to see what the improvement would be, but had no luck.

I talked with Carl Worth about this yesterday.  To test this, we'd need a
Graphics that could draw to a GL surface, and we'd need to build Cairo and glitz
from source.  A "GLGraphics" may be something we need in the future, but for now
the released versions of Cairo do not have glitz support and won't until glitz
commits to a stable API, which hasn't happened yet.

Even so, I think our graphics backend should be much faster without us needing
to draw directly to a GL surface.  It may be worthwhile to write a Cairo
benchmark that performs the same operations as J2dBenchmark to see how far off
our Java implementation is from the theoretical best native implementation.
Such a benchmark would also allow us to test fastpath optimizations easily.
We'd need a set of benchmarks for each of the Cairo surfaces we draw to.

Tom