Would nice, if you publish your code also under AL2

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 13:56 +0000, theUser BL wrote:
> If you write completly classes for GNU Classpath at your own and they don't
> depend on other GNU Classpath specific files, it would be nice, if you would
> also publish it under the Apache License 2.
> I think it would be nice, to bring the Harmony- and GNU Classpath-project
> more together.

Well, in the views of this developer:
It would be nice if Apache Harmony chose to use my code under the terms
of the License I've put it under. The license is not incompatible with
theirs, and it was offered under that license when they started that
project.

However, they did not want that license. They didn't really want to
discuss alterations to that license either, even though it was offered.

The reason for that was that, in practice, what it was all about was
that the Apache Harmony folks didn't want my code. Sure, they'll take it
if I hand it over unconditionally, but they're not prepared to discuss
terms with me or anyone representing me.

But basically they wanted their own class library and total control over
it. They didn't say it outright, but tended to refer to licensing, VM
interfaces, and fancy but meaningless pictures and abstract designs
showing equally abstract problems with Classpath. Or by referring to
made-up "rules" on how ASF projects can't have non-ASL dependencies.

This was all a smokescreen for the actual reality that Harmony never
actually intended to use GNU Classpath, although they did manage to
convince some of us that they would.. At least, for a while.

So while Geir Magnusson may have given pretty speeches about "working
with the community", his definition of that phrase is "How much code are
you prepared to hand over, no strings attached?".

Unfortunately, some people though that he meant "working with" as in a
give-and-take process, involving compromises and negotiation. They also
believed that meant being upfront and honest about your intentions and
motives. Those people are pretty disappointed today.

So, what you're suggesting here is that, because I'm "nice", I should
go ahead and give them what they want. And what they want, given that
they don't want our code under its existing license, nor do they seem
prepared to discuss the matter, is that we either relicense
under the ASL or simply fuck off.

Personally, I don't really feel very inclined to doing that. After being
mislead and basically having my concerns ignored, why should I?

The misleading is an ongoing process, as you can see by Geir's list
post. He's quite the politician. Lots of pretty words, but never any
concrete proposals or straight answers. Read his post closely. Do you
see any proposals on HOW we should work together? On WHAT we can do to
work together? Saying that individual developers can do what they want
with their code is not an answer for either his project our ours.

Anyone can say "I'd really like it if we could all work together". Who
would disagree with that kind of sentiment under any circumstance?

But as under any circumstance, what the REAL question is: What
compromises are you prepared to make to work together?

/Sven (who's opinions aren't necessarily representative)