Profiling in Classpath

Hi Audrius,

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 12:25 +0200, Audrius Meskauskas wrote:
> Does anybody tried and knows some profiling tools that run with
> Classpath (and with which virtual machine)? If not, implementing some
> profiling may be an interesting and important future task.

Real profiling (of the whole system) can be done with oprofile and
native compiled gcj binaries. This is the most reliable since it will
give you an overview of the whole system (it might be that the kernel,
libc, gtk+, cairo, etc is slow and not our core libraries). It is just
not completely trivial to setup and for profiling the core libraries it
is not ideal since libgcj is sometimes a little behind in comparison
with classpath. But it is the only full real solution that I know.

There is also JMP (http://www.khelekore.org/jmp/) which works with
Kaffe: http://gnu.wildebeest.org/diary/index.php?p=104
It is nice, but slows down program execution a lot. And it only profiles
byte code, not any JNI or system libraries.

Finally in theory you could use jip which uses the new instrumentation
interface we recently added to GNU Classpath (http://jiprof.sf.net/).
But I haven't actually used any runtime that supported it. Christian
said he was interested in adding support for it to Cacao though.

Cheers,

Mark