libgcj merging and VMStackWalker

Hello again,

Am Dienstag, den 16.05.2006, 14:25 +0200 schrieb Jeroen Frijters:
> Roman Kennke wrote:
> > Here (@Aicas) we faced a similar problem as described by Tom.
> > We came up with another possible (but similar) solution, which
> > doesn't 'muddle up' the VM interface (ok, depends on your meaning
> > of 'muddle up', it adds a new method with -IMO - also clearly
> > defined semantics). It has the added advantage that it also
> > returns the method name, which is very useful in the logging API.
>
> If I understand you correctly, this is a different issue from the one we
> were discussing. Tom wanted to change the existing API because he
> believed it wasn't implementable in gcj.

His post didn't sound like this. He said

 "With this change I think I could immediately merge Logger,
ResourceBundle, Package, and parts of SecurityManager and the little
CORBA differences."

 and Bryce added

 "but due to overloaded
methods or inlining may have an indeterminate number of frames between
the external method and the site at which GetCallingClass() is called"

which both sound like exactly the same issue that we had, in our case it
was logging, but it is more general I think.

I also don't think I misunderstood the purpose of the VMStackWalker VM
interface. As far as I understand it, this interface is there in order
to provide more efficient access to stack information than
Thread.getStackTrace(). For pre-1.5 this is the only way for library
code to access stack info. Or am I completely wrong here? In Classpath
it is only used in java.lang.Security and gnu.CORBA.ObjectCreator
telling by a quick Eclipse search. Both could well (or even better) live
with an iterator-type interface. And as I said before, logging could be
made alot faster, when we didn't have to create a complete stacktrace
for every logging entry.

/Roman

--
?Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads, without
Improvement, are roads of Genius.? - William Blake