GConf-backend for java.util.prefs

Hi,

Robert Schuster wrote:

> 2) Backend chosing
> How is should the user or the package maintainers decide which backend is to be
> used? Do we want a configure-time option or provide a possibility to chose the
> backend when starting the VM (using a property).

I think the --disable-gconf-peer configure option that Mario provided is
fine, at least until other backends exist.  These peers should be on by
default and configure should fail if the necessary support libraries are
not available.  I prefer this behaviour to auto-disabling the peers if
the libraries aren't available, since it makes clear that the resulting
build will be less functional than it could be if the build system had
the right dependencies installed.

Tom