Green threads - some experience

Hi Nic,

I think the long term view is to switch to POSIX threads. Having used
the Jikes RVM for an OS like project, relying on native threads wouldn't
have been desirable. In theory green thread context switches should be
possible in a few instructions whereas a full context switch takes a few
hundred. I guess its all down to the situation the JVM is trying to
optimise for. Microsoft's Singularity OS makes an advantage out of not
requiring full context switches. If you have as many hardware contexts
as threads, then green threads would be an unnecessary overhead.

Ian